|Audience||Fleet Managers, Fleet Admins|
|Applies To||Fleet Dashboard > Company|
For Fleets using Driver-facing Dashcams Driver Privacy is often a major concern that arises before installation. Drivers are understandably worried about their privacy being violated while using a company vehicle, particularly when they are not working. Motive addresses these concerns by providing configurable camera options that help protect Driver Privacy on and off the road.
How the Driver Privacy feature Helps You
With the Driver Privacy camera configurations enabled:
- Dashcams still provide valuable road-facing footage of Driving behaviors while respecting Driver Privacy.
- A relationship of trust is built between Drivers and Fleet Managers while preventing the Drivers from a constant feeling of being monitored.
- Fleets are allowed to adjust the Driver-facing camera for the entire company. Else, they can turn on the lens for new Drivers and keep it off for more experienced Drivers.
- Fleets can record only when the engine is on, so Drivers’ Privacy isn’t violated after turning the vehicle off.
Driver Privacy Overview
Once the Driver Privacy mode is activated, the AI Dashcam's LED light turns green. This indicates the Dashcam recording is disabled and the camera is no longer actively capturing video or audio.
- For AI Dashcams, the Driver Privacy mode is enabled 3 minutes after the vehicle’s engine turns off, stopping all in-cab video and audio recording.
- For Smart Dashcams, the Driver Privacy mode is enabled 3 minutes and 30 seconds after the vehicle’s engine turns off. An additional 30 seconds are required for rebooting the camera to re-enable the Driver-facing camera.
- If the Engine-off recording setting is enabled, the road-facing camera continues to record once the vehicle’s engine turns off. Meanwhile, the Driver-facing Dashcam video and audio recording are disabled.
Driver Privacy Configurations
Only record when the engine is on
The ‘Only record when the engine is on’ setting disables the Driver-facing Dashcam when the vehicle's engine is turned off. This setting is useful to safeguard the Drivers’ privacy when they turn the vehicle off to take a break, go Off Duty, or go into Sleeper Berth.
The ‘Always Off’ setting disables the Driver-facing Dashcam at all times. This configuration is particularly suitable for vehicles that do not require Driver behavior evaluation or in-cab video or audio recording. When this setting is enabled, no in-cab video or audio recording is captured.
Always On (default)
The ‘Always On’ setting is the default configuration available for all Driver-facing Dashcams. This setting is suitable if the Drivers’ privacy is not a concern for the fleet. Whenever the Always on setting is enabled, the video recording function is activated.
|Note: If the Engine-off recording setting is enabled, both the road-facing and Driver-facing cameras continue to record after the vehicle’s engine turns off.|
- How to view Safety Events with Driver Privacy mode enabled
- How to enable Driver Privacy controls
- Can I see Live Images of the Driver in Driver Privacy Mode?