|Applies To||Vehicle Gateway, Freightliner 2017, Cable 3043|
Motive enables you to install Vehicle Gateway with a provided step-by-step procedure for your Freighliner 2017+ models. The cable 3043 can be used for Freightliner 2017+ vehicles whereas some models only work with cable 3035.
Note: Use cable 3035 for models 2018+ Freightliner New Cascadia 116 Day Cab, 116 Sleepercab, 126 Day Cab, and 126 Sleeper cab.
Installation Requirements: Vehicle Gateway for Freightliner 2017 and later vehicles (Cable 3043)
What comes in the box?
- Vehicle Gateway
- Cable 3043
- Electric drill
- Torx T25 8mm drive bit socket
- 5 labeled cups to keep track of screws/nuts
- Dash bezel
- Instrumentation panel
- Top panel
- Passenger dash panel
- Mount plate
- Flashlight (optional)
1. Ensure the vehicle is safe to install the Motive Vehicle Gateway:
- The parking brake is engaged
- The engine is off
- The main power switch (if available) is turned off
2. Remove nine T25 screws from the outer dash bezel and place in cup labeled “Dash Bezel”. Remove the outer dash bezel and place it outside the cabin. Remove nine T25 screws from the outer dash bezel and place in cup labeled “Dash Bezel”. Remove the outer dash bezel and place it outside the cabin.
3. Remove eight T25 screws from the instrumentation panel. Remove the red “Trailer Air Supply” and yellow “Parking Brake” knobs (if present). Place the screws and knobs in a cup labeled “Instrumentation Panel”.
4. Remove two T25 screws from the passenger dash panel and place it in a cup labeled “Passenger Dash Panel”. Remove the passenger dash panel and place it outside the vehicle. Be careful not to damage the panel detents.
5. Remove nine T25 screws from the top panel and place in cup labeled “Top Panel”. Gently raise the top panel a few inches from its original position.
6. Insert the terminated leads of the Motive cable through the top panel.
7. Identify a J1939 250K TEM splice pack near the center dashboard (typically splice pack 2/SP2). Remove the grey wire grommet in the back of the splice pack. Connect the CAN interface of the cable to the vehicle's J1939 250K CAN interface. Insert CAN_H & CAN_L into the row with the same colored wire of the TEM splice pack, respectively. Insert the grey wire holder into the back of the splice pack.
8. Connect the black ground wire to the ‘GND’ TEM splice pack. Connect the red wire to the “Power Battery” TEM splice pack.
9. Take the 15-pin connector end of the cable and attach it where the Vehicle Gateway is mounted. Secure the wiring and TEM splice packs with zip ties then reattach the panels.
- Depending on the vehicle, the panels may need to be modified in order to run the cable to the top of the dashboard. If the panels can not be modified, then mount the Vehicle Gateway inside the panel.
10. Attach the 15-pin connector to the Vehicle Gateway and mount the Vehicle Gateway on an area of the dashboard where the device is exposed to sunlight.
- Secure the 15-pin connector onto the Vehicle Gateway using the thumbscrews.
- Use the provided alcohol swab to clean the mounting area
- Remove the backing from the adhesive strip on the back of the Vehicle Gateway and attach it to the mounting area
- Mount the Vehicle Gateway in a spot where it is away from vents, electrical components, and metal components that may cause interferences.
11. Once plugged in, the indicator lights will flash momentarily before turning solid red. After approximately one minute, the left-side indicator will turn green indicating a successful GPS/GNSS connection.
11. Once the driver connects to the Vehicle Gateway using the Motive Driver App available on iOS and Android, the right-side indicator light will turn green indicating a successful Bluetooth connection.
*Splice pack: The Sealed Splice Pack is a connection system that allows you to eliminate multiple wire splices, providing you with a remote serviceable location on any electrical wiring harness application.
- Install the Vehicle Gateway - 3035 Cables
- How to install the Vehicle Gateway in Mack Truck - Model Year 2013+
- Vehicle Gateway Installation Instructions for Vehicles with an OBD-II Port
- How to install the Vehicle Gateway in Volvo Truck - Model Year 2013 - 2018