|Audience||Drivers, Fleet Admins|
|Applies To||Motive Card|
Symptoms: Getting skimmed while using Motive Card at POS machine
The Motive Card gets skimmed when used at the Point-Of-Sale machine.
- Skimming device installed at the POS machine.
1. Do a quick scan before using the machine to ensure it has not been tampered with. Some ways to tell if a skimmer is installed are by checking if the card reader is loose, crooked, or damaged. If part of the machine is a different color, do not use the POS machine. Skimmers are easily removable so if customers pull on the Card reader, the card skimmer is most likely going to come off.
2. Check the keypad. If the numbers are hard to press or they feel thicker to the touch, it’s likely that there is a false keypad installed to skim your PIN or ZIP code information. If you suspect this to be the case, try moving to another machine.
3. Block PIN / ZIP code. When entering either PIN or ZIP, they should cover the keypad with their other hand, in case there is a camera installed with the skimmer and recording the information.
4. Use the tap feature instead of inserting your Motive card into the reader.
5. Paying inside. If the gas station has yet to update its pumps to allow the “tap” feature or mobile wallet to pay, customers should be encouraged to pay inside.