|Audience||Fleet Admins, Fleet Managers, Drivers|
|Applies To||Fleet Dashboard, Driver App|
What is the Split Sleeper Berth Rule?
The sleeper berth provision allows drivers to split their required 10-hour off-duty period into two qualifying periods (e.g., 3/7 split sleeper berth, 8/2 and 7.5/2.5 sleeper berth split break), provided one off-duty period (whether in or out of the sleeper berth) is at least 2 hours long, and the second off-duty period is at least 7 consecutive hours spent in the sleeper berth.
The 2 periods must sum up to 10 hours total (know more about 10 hour sleeper berth rule).
When used together, neither time period counts against the maximum 14-hour driving window.
How does Split Sleeper Berth work on the Driver App
- The Split Sleeper feature on the Driver App includes the ability for drivers to use a split sleeper toggle to recalculate their clocks before both qualifying periods are met – See more details in Feature Overview
- This feature gives drivers the ability to better track their available hours before the completion of both qualifying periods to meet the Sleeper Berth Provision
How Split Sleeper on Driver App Helps You
Here are the benefits offered by Split Sleeper:
- Drivers can easily extend their on-duty period by splitting off-duty periods.
- Drivers can view their remaining hours before completion of both periods to better track their available hours
Split Sleeper Berth regulations Overview
Split Sleeper toggle on the Driver App allows the driver to split their required 10-hour off-duty shift, provided that one off-duty/sleeper berth break is at least 2 hours long and a second off-duty break minimum 7 consecutive hours long spent in sleeper berth.
The Split Sleeper toggle is only available once the minimum requirement is complete, which is at least 2 hours into sleeper berth/off-duty.
It turns on multiple clocks (Split SB Clocks) to break off-duty time into multiple periods.
Turning on the toggle allows the divers to view Driving and On-Duty hours left before they complete both qualifying periods to meet the Sleeper Berth Provision.
Drivers can switch between both the clocks to start on-duty or off-duty status.
- Once the driver ends his shift, the hours are recalculated and shown in the app.
Note: The time spent on ON Duty and/or Driving statuses between the two chunks of split sleeper berth gets deducted and the driver gets the remaining hours in the next shift.
- The drivers can review their split sleeper hours history of a week under HOS recap. For step-by-step instructions, see How to Use Split Sleeper Berth Toggle in Driver App.
Get more details on sleeper berth rule on split sleeper berth FMCSA.