Asset Gateway (AG Max), Thermo King Reefer Units
The Motive integrated platform provides best-in-class tracking and monitoring solutions for reefers, vehicles, trailers, and equipment - all in one place. In this article, you will learn how to install and integrate your Asset Gateway (AG Max) to your Thermo King reefer unit.
View the Asset Gateway AG Max for the Thermo King reefer integration installation guide here.
|Note: The Thermo King 3rd party harness will be pre-installed if the customer selected the 3rd party gateway enabled option when ordering their Thermo King refrigeration unit. If this is not installed, this harness needs to be purchased from your Thermo King dealer.|
Installation Requirements: AG Max Thermo King Integration
What comes in the box?
- Asset Gateway (AG Max)
- Motive Cable 4000
- Motive Cable 4001 Adapter
- Mount Plate
- Four M3 Screws
- Thermo King 3rd Party Harness (if applicable)
- Bluebox or iBox (if applicable)
Steps: Installing AG Max Thermo King Integration
1. Identify whether you have a BlueBox (P/N: 401634) or iBox (P/N: 401243) unit installed on your refrigerated trailer.
Note: All 2018 and newer model units of Thermo King are shipped by default with a BlueBox device. For 2017 and older models, either BlueBox (P/N: 401634) or iBox units (P/N: 401243) should be purchased from your Thermo King dealer.
2. If you have a BlueBox unit installed, please reach out to your Thermo King dealer to enable a software setting that allows 3rd Party Mode on your BlueBox unit. The dealer can turn this setting on remotely.
3. Follow the steps below to go to Guarded Access Mode on your Thermo King physical controller unit (installed on your refrigerated trailer). To navigate between pages, press the Up and Down buttons.
- Press the ON button on the display screen.
- Press the Menu button as it appears.
- Press the Exit and Unlabeled button at the same time for 5 seconds.
- The display screen will now show the Maintenance menu.
- Press the Next button until the screen will not advance further.
- Press the Exit and Unlabeled buttons at the same time for 5 seconds.
- The display screen will now show the Guarded Access menu
4. From Guarded Access Mode, navigate to Hardware Configuration and then to 3rd Party Device Control and set it to COM1.
5. From Guarded Access Mode, navigate to Programmable Features and then Remote Device and set it to Enabled.
6. From Guarded Access Mode, navigate to Programmable Features and then COM1 Default Baud Rate and set it to 9600.
7. From Guarded Access Mode, navigate to REB Type or TK Telematics Configured and set it to IBox+Cell+GPS.
8. From Guarded Access Mode, navigate to Main Menu Configuration, then Add Sleep to the Mode Menu and set it to Enabled.
1. For iBox units, no additional verification is needed as 3rd Party Mode is enabled by default.
For BlueBox units, additional verification is necessary. To enable 3rd Party Mode, turn on the Thermo King refrigeration unit and make sure the LEFT #1 LED is blinking red. If the LED is solid red, please make sure you’ve successfully completed the steps listed above. If the issue persists, please reach out to your Thermo King dealer again to ensure they have correctly set the software setting on their end to enable 3rd Party Mode.
1. Choose where to install the Asset Gateway on your refrigerated trailer. We strongly recommend following these guidelines:
- Place the Asset Gateway on a flat surface.
- Avoid placing the Asset Gateway near any heat sources (such as compressors or fans) and vibrations that are caused by the refrigeration unit.
- Position the Asset Gateway towards the sky. This will allow the device to receive backup solar power if the cable power is not available.
Recommended locations to install:
Without a solar mount on the side of the refrigeration unit
With a solar mount on the refrigeration unit.
Without a solar mount on top of the refrigeration unit.
2. Log into the Motive Fleet App and select the Devices tab.
3. Tap Install Asset Gateway.
4. Assign your asset gateway by following this article.
5. Click on Cable Installation and follow the in-app instructions.
6. Connect Cable 4000 (power cable) to the Asset Gateway.
7. Ensure that the orange 6-pin Deutsch connector of Cable 4000 is connected to the Cable 4001 Adapter.
8. Connect the other end of the Cable 4001 Adapter to Thermo King’s 3rd party harness.
9. Refer to the Thermo King instructions that came with your 3rd party cable harness for more details on connection points for installing in single and multi-temp units.
Once installation is complete, you’ll be able to monitor reefer telematics data live in Fleet View from the Motive Fleet Dashboard.
Learn how to assign an asset gateway to a Thermo King reefer via your Fleet Dashboard
Learn how to assign an asset gateway for the Thermo King reefer on the Motive Fleet App
- What is the AG Max Thermo King Integration?
- How to assign an asset gateway for the Thermo King reefer on the Motive Fleet App
- How to identify an asset with AG Max Thermo King Integration
- How to view your AG Max Thermo King reefer data
- How to view your AG Max Thermo King alarms (fault codes)
- How to remotely control your AG Max Thermoking reefer
- How to create a reefer temperature alert
- How to view your AG Max Thermo King reefer activity report