|Applies To||Driver App > Logs|
The ELD Mandate requires that every ELD provider generate Malfunction or Data Diagnostic messages that surface when any problem with the ELD data occurs. Motive allows drivers to easily view active malfunctions and data diagnostic events in the driver application.
Drivers can see if they have an active malfunction or data diagnostic by looking at the vehicle selection in the Driver App, or on the Vehicle Diagnostics Screen.
Please view the ELD Malfunctions and Data Diagnostics PDF in this ELD manual.
Vehicle Gateway Malfunctions and Data Diagnostics Overview
There are various malfunction and data diagnostic codes that the driver will see in the Driver App. Refer to the list below for more information. Click the desired link to jump to that section for the resolution steps.
Active Malfunction Codes
- Power Compliance (Code P)
- Engine Sync (Code E)
- Positioning Compliance (Code L)
- Timing Compliance (Code T)
- Data Recording (Code R)
- Data Transfer Compliance Malfunction (Code S)
Data Diagnostic Codes
- Power Data (Code 1)
- Engine Sync (Code 2)
- Missing Required Data Elements (Code 3)
- Unidentified Driving Records (Code 5)
- Data Transfer Data Diagnostic Event (Code 4)
Active Malfunction Codes
Power Compliance ELD Malfunction (Code P)
The Power Compliance ELD Motive malfunction (Cope P) occurs when the Vehicle Gateway is unplugged and there is a drive time of more than 30 minutes over a 24-hour period across all driver profiles, including the unidentified driver profile. Here is how to solve this issue:
- Ensure that you are connected to the vehicle on the Motive Driver App whenever the vehicle is in motion.
Engine Synchronization Malfunction (Code E)
Code E malfunction occurs when the Vehicle Gateway loses connection for a cumulative 30+ minutes of missing data elements: GPS, VIN, date/time, and engine hours. Follow these steps to resolve it:
- Ensure that your Motive Driver App remains connected to the vehicle while the vehicle is powered on.
- Engine Synchronization Malfunctions will clear on their own after 24 hours have passed since the last logged malfunction event.
Positioning Compliance ELD Malfunction (Code L)
The Vehicle Gateway failing to obtain a valid GPS position within 5 miles of the last valid position for more than 60 minutes of drive time over a 24-hour period results in Positioning Compliance ELD malfunction. It can be resolved as follows:
- Ensure the Vehicle Gateway’s left-side LED is green to ensure a satellite GPS connection.
- Move it near a window so it has a clear unobstructed view to the sky.
- If you still see a red dot, reboot the Vehicle Gateway.
- Positioning Compliance Malfunctions clear on their own after 24 hours have passed since the last logged malfunction event.
Timing Compliance Malfunction (Code T)
Code T malfunction happens when the Vehicle Gateway's time varies more than 10 minutes from UTC time.
- Contact Motive support to have it resolved.
Data Recording Compliance Malfunction (Code R)
If the Vehicle Gateway's storage space has been exceeded and can no longer record new event data, it results in code R malfunction. You can resolve this by following the steps below:
- Bluetooth connect Motive Driver App to the Vehicle Gateway with an active internet connection.
- Stay connected with the App on the forefront of the mobile device screen to attempt to transfer data off the Vehicle Gateway to the Motive server.
Data Transfer Compliance Malfunction (Code S)
When the internal monitoring of the data transfer test fails and is unable to send the output file data, it results in code S malfunction. Fix the malfunction code S by following the steps below:
- Retry sending the output file.
- Report a support case if it continues to fail.
Data Diagnostic Codes
Power Data Diagnostic event (Code 1)
The Code 1 error occurs when the Vehicle Gateway is not powered and fully functional within 1 minute of the vehicle’s engine receiving power. Follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- Please ensure that you connect to a vehicle with the Driver App within 1 minute of the vehicle powering on.
- “Fully powered” requires that the Driver connects to the vehicle with the Driver App within 1 minute of the vehicle powering on.
Engine Synchronization Data Diagnostic Event (Code 2)
The Code 2 error occurs when the Vehicle Gateway loses ECM connectivity to any of the required data sources and can no longer acquire updated values for the required Vehicle Gateway parameters within five seconds of the need. Connectivity must be maintained between the driver app and the vehicle gateway while the vehicle is powered on. Follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- Please ensure that your Driver App remains connected to the vehicle while the vehicle is powered on.
Missing Required Data Elements Data Diagnostic Event (Code 3)
The Code 3 error occurs if there are missing data elements (like GPS location) in the Vehicle Gateway event record.
- Contact Motive support for further assistance.
Data Transfer Data Diagnostic Event (Code 4)
The code 4 error occurs if the internal monitoring of the data transfer test fails and doesn't allow sending the output file data. Follow these steps to resolve this issue:
- Try sending the output file again.
- Please report a support case if you face the same issue repeatedly.
Unidentified Driving Records Data Diagnostic Event (Code 5)
The Code 5 error occurs If there are over 30 minutes of unidentified driving time for the vehicle over the last 24 hours. Follow the steps below to resolve this issue:
- Drivers can claim unidentified trips from the Motive Driver App if those unidentified trips belong to them.
- Fleet Managers can also assign unidentified trips to drivers who can claim them on their log.
- Unidentified Driving Records Data Diagnostic Events will clear when the cumulative time for unidentified driving is less than 15 minutes for the current day plus the last 7 or 14 previous days (the US or Canada).
- Understanding the red dot (Active Malfunction) on the ELD icon in the Driver App
- Understanding the orange dot (Data Diagnostic Event) on the ELD icon in the Driver App