|Applies To||Vehicle Gateway, OBD-ll|
Learn how to install the Vehicle Gateway for vehicles with an OBD-II port.
Steps: Instructions for installation of Vehicle Gateway for vehicles with an OBD-ll Port
1. Ensure the vehicle is safe to install the Vehicle Gateway:
- The parking brake is engaged.
- The engine should be turned off.
- The main power switch (if available) is turned off.
2. Locate the OBD-II port.
- To help find the location of the OBD-II port for your specific vehicle visit CarMD.com.
We recommend installing the Vehicle Gateway which has ample exposure to the sky and away from any vents, and electrical components, and at least 12 inches away from any metal components.
The Vehicle Gateway may be installed in alternative locations, such as the wheel well as long as it meets the aforementioned requirements. Please ensure all cabling devices are secured to avoid interfering with the safe operation of the vehicle.
Additionally, the GPS/GNSS performance may degrade if the Vehicle Gateway does not have a clear line of sight to the sky.
3. Connect and secure the OBD-II end of the cable to the vehicle's OBD-II port.
- Attach the 15-pin connector to the Vehicle Gateway.
- Secure the 15-pin connector onto the Vehicle Gateway using the thumbscrews.
- Prior to mounting the Vehicle Gateway, use the provided alcohol swabs to clean the mounting area.
- Remove the backing from the adhesive strip on the back of the Vehicle Gateway and attach it to the mounting area.
Once plugged in, the indicator lights will flash momentarily before turning solid red. After approximately one minute, the left-side indicator light will turn green indicating a successful GPS connection. If this does not occur, ensure the vehicle has an unobstructed view of the sky.
4. Once the Driver connects to the Vehicle Gateway using the Driver App available on iOS and Android, the right-side indicator light will turn green indicating a successful Bluetooth connection.
Note: Please refer to the Driver App Guide for more details on the mobile platform. For any assistance, please contact us.
- How to install Vehicle Gateway
- How to re-assign a vehicle gateway to a different vehicle
- Troubleshooting Guide - Vehicle Gateway Issues